Common Threads Guest Editor Application
Mass Poetry is taking applications for the 2017 Guest Editorship of Common Threads. The 2017 Guest Editor's work would begin in early 2016. In the summer of 2016, it would be mutually determined whether the Guest Editor would continue into a second term to edit the 2018 edition. Additionally, strong applications will be kept on file in consideration for later editions of Common Threads.
Application deadline: November 1, 2015
The role of Guest Editor includes:
- Choosing 6-8 accessible poems by poets with Massachusetts ties, with a commitment to inclusivity and gender parity, that speak to each other through a thread or theme of the editor's choice
- Writing an introductory essay for the edition
- Creating a writing prompt related to each poem
- Participating in the Common Threads event at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival and at least 1-2 other events throughout the year
Strong candidates for the Guest Editorship will have:
- A wide-ranging knowledge (and willingness/eagerness to expand that knowledge) of Massachusetts poetry
- A commitment to broadening the audience for poetry as whole, with no bias toward any one poetic group
- A commitment to inclusivity and gender parity
- Proven experience in the poetry community (via publications, community programs/events, or academic institutions)
The Guest Editor receives a stipend of $250, to be distributed at the Massachusetts Poetry Festival.
To apply, please use the form below.
If you have questions, please email Laurin Macios at firstname.lastname@example.org.