JOB OPENING: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Mass Poetry is looking for an energetic and enterprising Executive Director to lead our 10-year-old organization into a bright and successful future. The right person will be passionate about broadening the audience for poetry and supporting poets in Massachusetts; self-motivated and driven; a creative problem-solver; detail-oriented while maintaining focus on overall goals; highly organized; tech savvy; a quick and willing learner; and a skilled written and verbal communicator. Strong candidates will be able to show experience with and/or understanding and knowledge of fundraising and development; staff and program management; budgeting and organizational planning; and publicity and marketing.
Mass Poetry board
Two: Program Director, Festival Director
- FUNDRAISING: overall responsibility for all fundraising activities, grant and foundation proposals and renewals, Evening of Inspired Leaders, individual solicitations and renewals, poetry salons and house parties, online fundraising campaigns, oversight and development of fundraising database
- STAFF AND PROGRAMMING: overall responsibility for quality and improved functioning of staff and interns; responsibility for improved functioning of all programing including planning for the Massachusetts Poetry Festival, Student Day of Poetry, Poetry on the T, U35, Common Threads, Educator Professional Development, masspoetry.org, and other programs and collaborations; responsible for assessing program strengths and challenges, and making recommendations to the board
- BUDGETING AND PLANNING: responsibility for general operating budget, budgeting for all programs, and submitting a budget and a plan for program improvements for board review and approval
- COMMUNITY PARTNERS: overall responsibility for developing and maintaining mutually fruitful relationships with new and existing partners and collaborators across Massachusetts
- BOARD: responsibility for working with the board to improve planning, budgeting, priority setting and board expansion. Working with board chair, set agendas and send out relevant reports and proposals in advance of board meetings
- PUBLICITY, MARKETING, AND BRANDING: oversee publicity and marketing for the organization; act as primary spokesperson for the organization except where you feel others should be delegated that role for specific projects or stories
- GROWTH AND SUCCESS: work together with the board to grow Mass Poetry thoughtfully and strategically, aiming for success in all we do
ED is expected to flag for the board any areas where particular assistance and development may be needed or useful. ED is encouraged to report relevant professional development programs and opportunities to the board for consideration for ED’s participation. The board may also make recommendations for programs or mentors.
Mass Poetry’s office is 15 Channel Center St, Boston MA; we also work remotely, and hold staff and board meetings in Cambridge, Boston, Burlington, Salem, and Carlisle throughout the year. Mass Poetry’s programs and partners are spread throughout the state; being willing and able to travel throughout MA is a requirement of the role.
Full-time, 40+ hours per week. While staff often works remotely, this position is full-time, and staff is expected and required to work a regular, reliable full-time schedule.
We cover an individual health insurance plan.
PAID TIME OFF:
8 sick days and 15 vacation days per calendar year
$45,000-$55,000 commensurate with experience + opportunity for performance-based bonus
- The successful candidate holds at least a Bachelor’s degree and is a flexible, detail-oriented self-starter
- 2-3 years experience in arts administration, or a role directing/managing programs in other fields, highly valued
- Experience managing staff
- Experience in publicity and marketing
- Experience in fundraising and development
- Strong understanding of financial management and budgeting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills
- Comfort with design software such as Photoshop and InDesign a plus
- Interest in poetry, contemporary poetry, and literary culture
HOW TO APPLY: